1
2
3
4

London Road

  • client
  • Heathcliff Developments
  • contract value
  • £1,600,000
  • date
  • 2014
  • sector
  • Residential
  • location
  • Retford
  • contact
  • Steve Rayner

The King Edward VI Grammar School opened in August 1857 to a design by Decimus Burton, famous for building parts of the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew and London Zoo. The buildings were listed Grade II in 1976.

The school closed in 2005. It was in danger of becoming a building at risk before Heathcliff Developments acquired the property in 2012 with the intension of converting the existing buildings to high quality apartments, and building new housing in the extensive grounds. The new housing is designed in a manner sympathetic to the listed structures. A palette of traditional materials has been used and many of the details on the school buildings have been replicated to good effect.